Tuesday, August 10, 2004

The Zach Braff Staring Incident

The fact is, a lot of the TV and movie actors out there all live in the LA area, and if you live here yourself you're bound to run into them.

I've heard plenty of stories of people going to premieres and "Oh my gosh!" seeing a celebrity. Frankly, I find the random encounters much more interesting.

A couple years ago I went with some buddies to see Adaptation. We arrived early, we took our seats and a moment later another guy sat down next to me. The guy and I casually glanced at each other and for some reason I recognized him. A moment later I realized he was Zach Braff, the star of Scrubs on NBC. At this point it occured to me that we were both still staring at each other. I politely nodded and turned to talk with my friends.

Well, I didn't know it at first, since my back was to him, but Zach kept staring. There I am, chatting away for a few moments, completely oblivious as to why my friends are giving me increasingly strange looks, when one of them finally says, "Eh, Zach Braff's sitting next to you and he won't stop staring."

I quickly turn around only to see Zach quickly look away. I looked forward only to then see Zach staring again in my peripheral. I finally turned my head to say hi, when at that same moment his guest arrived and the previews started.

This wouldn't be worth mentioning if it weren't for the fact that Zach has a movie coming out now, and every time I see an ad for it, I can't help but start wondering again why he was staring.

Did he think he recognized me too? Was he annoyed that I had recognized him? Had I forgotten to take off my cape again?

It's not so much that I mind staring (I apparently do it a lot myself), but for some stupid reason I'm still curious why.

Fortunately, I'm bound to run into him again someday, and I'm definitely going to ask.

Sure, he may have forgotten. Sure he might think I'm a lunatic and send for security.

But then again, he might simply say, "You had something weird on your face."

-C-

Update: I just did a search to see if anyone else had ever written about staring and Zach Braff, only to discover that Zach himself has a blog. So, in my never ending quest to procrastinate, I went ahead and asked him my question. ...Heck, maybe I'll have an answer sooner than I thought.

To be continued....

5 Comments:

Blogger Scotty 2-shots said...

He probably just thought you were that guy from the Calvin Klein "Arrogance" ad.

Wed Aug 11, 01:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Cocles said...

Wrong post lego. Read the message ABOVE my name.

Time to lay off that Wisconsin cheese. ;)

Wed Aug 11, 08:46:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Cocles said...

Ask, and ye shall receive:

Zach Braff's Garden State Blog

Sun Aug 15, 04:34:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staring at someone for that long of a period, for any specific reason, his/her face should be imprinted somewhere in the mind forever. So he has no excuse to not remember you ;-)
- Techo

p.s.
Cocles, having seen Adaption. Did you also get a chance to view "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind"? if so, did you like it?

Thanks.

Wed Aug 18, 11:28:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Cocles said...

Techo,

I was hoping that in the time it took me to reply I would get a chance to see "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind", but alas it was not meant to be. I do however have something to say about "Adaptation".

The earlier drafts of the screenplay were much better than the film, and my friends and I have all mourned the loss of the original third act.

As in the movie, Kaufman goes to see screenwriting guru Robert McKee. Kaufman convinces McKee to have a drink with him, and it's at the bar where Kaufman tells McKee his problem.

Kaufman's got two acts of pure rambing drivel. Sure it has some nice scenes, but all in all it just a jumbled mess. (The script he's discussing of course is the one for the movie we're all watching at that very moment.) Hearing Kaufman's dilemna McKee shakes his head and heads outside, as Kaufman begs him for help. Hailing a cab McKee finally turns around and tells Kaufman the greatest secret of screenwriting, "The first and second act dont matter, my boy, as long as you fill the third act with nothing but action."

"All action!?", replies Kaufman.

"All action", responds McKee.

Kaufman can't thank McKee enough as McKee gets into his cab.

"Remember, my boy', McKee says as he drives off, 'start your third act with a bang and take it from there."

And with that McKee's cab explodes. What follows is thirty minutes filled with nothing but car chases, shoot outs, and even an awesome battle with a swamp monster.

It's still one of the funniest dang things I've ever read, because I happened to be thinking, "But wait... the beginning of the third act is now. How can he begin it with a bang in the middle of this conversation?" And with that McKee's car explodes.

Friggin' Brilliant.

Wed Aug 25, 02:06:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home