Sunday, August 08, 2004

Land of the Lawns

Recently I found myself back in Ohio for a few days. And while I may have been to a number of random places in this world, I had never been to Ohio before.

Talk to anyone in California who's from out of state and they'll tell you they miss two things:

The Seasons...

and Yards.

Well... anyone who's grown up in California couldn't care less about "seasons", we'd much rather go to the beach on Christmas Eve than bemoan being unable to watch "colors change".

As far as yards go, however, I've always scratched my head. Yards!? We have yards here. Some big, some small, some short, some tall. So what's the problem?

Now I know....

EVERYTHING in Ohio has a yard! And I don't mean a little patch of grass, I mean a big giant lawn.

The gas stations have lawns, the shopping centers have lawns, even the freeways have big giant lawns running down the middle at times.

It's as if there's some old guy who's been on the Ohio board of trustees for so long that everyone HAS to listen to him. Only problem is, he's beginning to go a little senile.

BoardMember, "Alright, next on the agenda, we have the extention of the 215 freeway going in. Any comments?"
Joe, "It needs a lawn!"
BoardMember, "Eh, Joe it's a freeway."
Joe, "IT NEEDS A LAWN!"
Boardmember, "But Joe, freeway's don't usually have-"
Joe, "LAWN!!!"
Boardmember, "Okay, alright. One lawn for the 215 freeway. Next, we have a gas station going in on the corner of Weston and Third...."

Please note that I'm not complaining. Coming from Southern California, Ohio seemed like a veritable Rain Forest, which made for a very nice change in scenery.

In fact, I liked the green so much that I plan on going back this December to visit it.

...So, on a different note, what's this "change of seasons"?

1 Comments:

Blogger Cocles said...

Actually, that was a feeble attempt at humon on my part, since while any native midwesterner would know that visiting Ohio in December to see the "green" would lead to some upset, a native Californian I might not know that. ;) But thank you for such a descriptive picture of those "changing seasons" are like.

Sun Aug 08, 11:52:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home